Saturday, May 8, 2010

What are Your Credentials?


I was asked, "Where did you go to seminary?" Before I answered I paused for a moment to consider why I was asked that question. Before I could answer he continued, "Well you're a preacher right? Don't you have to go to school for that?" I couldn't help but laugh. First because I am not a preacher. I like to think of myself as a teacher regardless of how good or bad that may be. My answer was, "I never went to seminary." His facial expression read, "You must not be very good then." I think people who are called to the ministry but are measured up by the amount of formal instruction they have is a shame.
Consider the poor man who studied law from second hand books. He spent all he had on the bar exam and passed in the top 75%. He applied for a position as an attorney, but was rejected on the basis that he does not have a degree. A few days later the state received a call from the President of the United States. The President gave an excellent reference to this poor man. After a few lost cases and 1.2 million dollars later the poor attorney was hired. The state never lost another case. However, the attorney with a 6 year degree from Tulane cost the state several millions. How unfortunate.
I turned the conversation with this gentlemen by asking him how well he thinks Satan knows the Bible. After explaining Lucifer's fall, and his mission as Satan, he answered, "More than anyone man this earth." I liked where this conversation was now headed. Unfortunately it stopped there because he saw my point.

No comments: